Jan 23, 2012

Homemade Boston Cream Donuts

I told you we were thrilled with making donuts a couple weeks ago when we made the Salvation Army donuts. Since then we worked on the Boston Cream Donut recipe, from The Donut Book. Wow, did they turn out amazing! I couldn't resist doing another post about donuts. First, of course we had to do a little mathematical exercise in the counting department. So we chose the perfect book for this scrumptious occasion.
The Baker's Dozen: A Counting Book

Baker's Dozen a Counting Book
by Dan Andreasen

This book has really nice illustrations.
Perfect for including the younger ones in the lesson.


Donut Book: The Whole Story in Words, Pictures, and Outrageous Tales


The Donut Book by Sally Levitt Steinberg is the book we took our recipe from.


For the donuts you will need:
1 c. of milk (I used soy)
4 Tbs. of butter (I used non-dairy spread)
1/2 c. plus 1/2 tsp. of sugar
1/2 tsp. of salt
1 egg
1 package yeast
1/4 c. warm water (105-115 degrees)
3 1/2 c. of flour plus more for rolling dough out
1 tsp. of vanilla
Oil for deep frying

***Note: I made these donuts non dairy for those in our family who can't have milk. Just follow the recipe as it says to. Then when it's time to cut them out you can
 cut out a whole in the center, let them rise again and then fry them. I sugared some of them or drizzled chocolate over them.
 The rest I made into the Boston Cream donuts.
 Just a note for our non dairy friends***

Filling you will need:
1 package of vanilla pudding
(I used the extra large pack of instant vanilla Jell-O brand pudding.
I made it with whole milk)
Make this ahead of time.

Glaze:
2 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 Tbs. of butter
1 c. of confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2-3 Tbs. of hot water

To make the glaze, melt the chocolate with the butter in a small saucepan.
Once melted stir in the vanilla and confectioner's sugar till smooth-this changes the texture of the chocolate and I panicked the first time I did it.
Add a tablespoon of water one at a time.

Your chocolate may seem a little stiff up until you add the water.
The water makes it nice and smooth.
A perfect chocolate glaze.
I usually only end up using 2 out of the 3 tablespoons.



First you are going to want to scald the milk with the butter and sugar.
Don't boil it though.
While your milk is getting warm, in a large bowl combine the flour and salt.


Once you have scalded the milk remove it from the heat and let it cool a little bit.
While the milk cools, in a small glass bowl combine the warm water with the tsp. of sugar and the yeast. Stir gently and set aside for a few minutes to proof.
It should look like this when it's ready.


  When the milk has cooled down, add your egg and vanilla to it and beat it.
You don't want to add the egg when the milk is too hot or it will cook it.
Once the yeast has activated (look at above picture),
add it and the milk mixture to the dry ingredients.
Mix into a nice soft dough. Knead it for a few minutes. Add a little flour to it if it's too sticky. I found that I needed to add another
 cup to the recipe to get the right consistency, but I always wait
 to add it until after I have started mixing to see what the dough is going to be like.




Once you get a nice dough formed place in a warm place and cover the bowl with a dish towel. Let it rise for an hour or so. Just till it's doubled in size.
When it has doubled, punch it down, knead it for a minute or two.
Roll it out onto a floured surface and cut out your donut shape.
Then place them on a cookie sheet with space in between and leave them to rise for another 1/2-an hour.


Once they have risen it is time to prep your oil!
If you have a deep fryer use that. If not a soup pot will work fine.
 Just give the donuts enough oil to swim in.
Here is what they should look like when you drop them into the hot oil.



They cook really fast so don't walk away from the pot. 
 Your oil temp should be at 355-365 at least.
 I like to drop a little piece of dough in to see if it's ready.
Put the donut into the hot oil. It will take less than a minute on each side.
Use a slotted spoon to remove it once it has turned a golden brown on each side.


Once they have cooled take a knife and put a small slit into each side.


Put the vanilla pudding into a pastry bag. I did not have one so I used a plastic bag, cut the corner off and then attached my turkey baster to it and filled them.


Insert into donut and fill.


Once all the donuts have been filled set them aside.
Make the glaze and spread onto donuts.


Then eat!!!


Yummy!

Enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. Looks incredible, and really quite easy! Thanks so much, I'll be trying this asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When do you add the vanilla in the dough mixture? Is that 1/2 tsp vanilla? 1-2 tsp vanilla? You wrote 1.2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for catching that! It's 1 tsp. And you add it to the milk and melted butter mixture when you add the egg! I'll fix that right now in the post.

      Delete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh, that looks amazing! And that picture book, he illustrated my new picture book Train Trip. Come link up some recipes on www.littlehouseinthesuburbs.com DIYLinky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will stop by and link up! Can't wait to check out your book!!

      Delete
  4. Hi I just found your recipe and I am waiting for the dough to rise as I type after trying an awful recipe yesterday your recipe looks quite promising.my dough looked exactly like yours.i. Will come back and let you know how things come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Can't wait to hear how they turn out!:) we make them more times than I like to admit!:)

      Delete
  5. FANTASTIC! The recipe is ridiculous(ly) good i was able to get quite a few donuts they are amazing we have had them as dessert and breakfast.lol.thank you so much.i so wish i could afford that book.side note they made my folks who i take care of super happy my dad is a three time cancer survivor who id having health issues and my mom is disabled from a hit and run so i am the only caretaker and myself am a struggling baker who doesn't work much for caregiving but those donuts made such a impression thank you.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so happy they turned out and that they impressed your family!

      May you be blessed for all the love you show your folks!

      Delete

Join in the conversation by leaving a comment! We look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...