Feb 3, 2012

Salt Dough Heart Wreath



I was inspired to make this heart wreath (above) after I saw this heart wreath over at Libbie Grove. I do not have hardly a scrap of pink paper in the house so I thought I would make the hearts out of salt dough and paint them with all different shades of pink.

This was a fun art project for the kids and I.
 I love how it turned out. So pink and quite lovely!

There's nothing I love more than seeing their little works of art all over the house.

We used this recipe:
2 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 c. warm water

Mix up the flour and salt. Then slowly add the water. Keep mixing till it forms a nice soft dough. If yours seems too dry just sprinkle a few drops of water on it till you get it right.

We used heart cookie cutters to cut out all the different shapes.
Then we placed them on a baking sheet and baked them at 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. I flip mine half way through so they dry evenly on both sides.

Let them cool once out of the oven. Then choose your paint colors and start painting. I only painted one side since that's all you would see.

When the paint was dry I got out an old grapevine wreath. I hot glued the hearts to the wreath. I added all the little hearts once all the big hearts were set in place.

8 comments:

  1. I love it.... the hearts, the paint, the colors, it's so creative!!! Tell the kids "AWESOME JOB"! I think I might use your idea with the salt dough and hang hearts from our chandelier... I love this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see what they look like hanging from your chandelier! LOVE-ly I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! And we just love salt dough at my house.. such a beautiful way to showcase what you made! Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/02/pink-hippo-party-66.html
    I am your newest follower~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, FUN! I love that! Totally pinning it for next year. We had our first attempt at salt dough this past Christmas; never thought to use it for something like this! Thanks for linking up at our Shine on Fridays party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I really need to be able to make one of these1

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous wreath! I just love how the kids helped out. Isn't it great to have a houseful of their work. I am a new follower visiting from Ginger Snap Crafts. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  7. Featuring this on One Artsy Mama tomorrow!
    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun idea. I think if one wanted to hang them from the wreath or anything, poke a small hole with a needle or small nail (depends what you want to string through the hole the size the hole needs to be, of course) before baking. I shall do this with my young grandchildren. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the conversation by leaving a comment! We look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...