Mar 5, 2012

Homemade Honey Lollipops



I have a little one over here who has a bit of a cold going on. I'm not a fan of giving cough drops to kids, especially when they're coughing. Just seems a bit dangerous to me, so I decided I wanted to make honey lollipops. Honey is so soothing when you're feeling a little under the weather. I thought the kids would be able to either have it as a lollipop, or if they wanted to, stick the lollipop in their tea if they didn't want to eat it. Either way is isn't going to be wasted.

I did a little home work on how to make lollipops. I had never made any hard candy of any kind before. I wasn't happy with anything I was finding until I came across
 The Pistachio Project. She just used honey. Nothing else! I can't argue with that!!

You will need at least a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of honey, a non stick surface, a candy thermometer and 10-12 sucker sticks. You can also add flavors such as lemon or cinnamon if you would like. A 1/2 tsp. should do the trick.

First lay out your sucker sticks, spaced apart, on your non stick surface. I used my silpat mat. Pour your honey into a heavy sauce pan and boil at medium to med. low heat for about 10 minutes. You will want to see your honey reach 300 degrees F. If you do not have a candy thermometer you can test your honey by dropping a drop or two of it into a cup of very cold water. If it hardens it's ready. If it's still soft to the touch, keep boiling.

Pull your honey from the burner once it's reached 300. Stir in your flavor, if you are going to use any, at this time. Pour over one end of the sucker sticks. Pour slowly. When the honey is really hot, like right off the burner, it will spread out more over the stick and form a very uneven circle. Your first few suckers might be thin and very misshapen. Your honey will start to harden quickly so by the 4th sucker or so you should see a more even circle and also a thicker sucker. Go back to the thinner suckers and pour over them again if you want to. The thinner suckers were very sharp on the edges once the honey hardened, so I would recommend making them thicker.

I would do this project during a nap time, or just mommy time. The honey is very hot and suckers can be very tempting for little ones.

Once you have let your suckers completely harden you can place them into a little, clear, plastic, treat bag. Tie with a twist tie and you're done.




If you don't have treat bags you can place the suckers in a wide mouthed Mason jar or tupperware container. Just make sure you place a piece of wax paper in between each sucker so they don't stick to each other. Pull them out whenever you need one!

These were fun to make and are fun to eat. It's a nice treat to give someone who is feeling under the weather. They would also be a nice addition to a get well basket, or homemade gift basket. I would not however give honey to toddlers.

37 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea! Totally sharing this on our farm website (linking back to you of course!)

    Sarah
    www.beewenchfarm.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be trying this when my son gets a little older. He's too little for suckers now, but this will be great when he gets a cough/cold and needs something soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parchment paper works well if you don't have a silpat. I'm a candy-maker, and have yet to discover anything that sticks to it. Skeptical? I pour my peanut brittle directly from the pan onto untreated parchment paper--it peels right off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I had a honey lollypop FAIL over the weekend. I tried to brew a strong herbal tea and add that to the honey and boil it all down (I swear I saw someone's tutorial on how to do it) but it did not work, I had to boil the honey so long to boil out that water that the honey just burned:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer. :( Herbal tea and honey sounds good. I don't know how you would combine the two with out burning the honey...I hope you give it another try with just the honey!
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. Try using the essential oil associated with the herb you desire to infuse... Uses a small amount of oil that incorporates nicely... Blessed be...

      Delete
  5. You could try boiling the tea in the honey and removing the tea before making the lollipops. Or just make herbal honey and then use that for the lollipops. Some just keep the tea leaves in the honey pops but I have no idea how that would taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! What a great alternative to cough drops that usually contain corn syrup and other bad-for-you ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so neat!!! do they keep a long time? I like this idea as a "reward" for my kids behaving at dr. appts and such than the suckers I carry now for them :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJuly 10, 2012

    why wouldn't you give to toddlers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't for the allergy reasons. To each his own....

      Delete
    2. Actually, honey is useful to help offset the effects of allergies. I'm not aware of any childhood allergy issue.

      It is recommended not to give honey to infants under the age of 1. The reason is botulinum spores that may be found in the honey. IF botulinum spores are present, they would affect infants with undeveloped digestive tracts. Once a body can process normal food, the digestive juices in the stomach kills any botulinum bacteria. This is why they say not to give honey to kids age 1 and under - a typical child has been eating normal food by the time they hit their first birthday. The spores can be killed by pressure cooking at 250 for 30 minutes. I do not know if cooking at 300 for 10 minutes would kill them.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Lori, for taking the time to be so detailed in your explaination.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Been cruising your blog and you have some great ideas. I love this one the most. Especially for cold season. I will try to make this this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for following! :)

      Delete
  10. My son got a cold this week and I made this recipe. He can't get enough of them! I thought it was so brilliant, I shared what I did on my blog - with BIG shout outs and links back to you, of course! Feel free to take a look to make sure you got proper credit...this is genius, and I've found so many great ideas on your blog.

    Hugs from your newest subscriber!
    http://cradlerockingmama.com/lollipop-lollipop-oh-lolli-lolli-lolli-lollipop/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was curious to know if anyone made this and the honey didn't harden? I tried making something similar to this before but the honey never hardened :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The honey did not harden because you didn't reach the right temp. It's got to get to the candy stage on your candy thermometer. Good luck!:)

      Delete
  12. I was looking for this very concept and LOVED what you did...but then my hubby pointed out the bad news to me: honey raised past 145 degrees loses most of its nutritional value :(

    I may still try this because my goal was to help my daughter with her cough and the honey should still coat the throat as desired... just made me sad that it wasn't nearly the nutritional snack I was hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right, but it is still healthier alternative to store bought cough drops!:)

      Delete
  13. it looks interesting, but i have the same thing going on as the poster above. honey looses it nutrients past a certain temperature. which is why i find myself feeling uncertain about so many of those "manuka honey lozenges" that you can buy commercially, just how are they prepared, usually you would have to heat the honey to get them to a thickening state. bummer. you could possibly add lemon at the very end, and get some yummy goodness there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you could add lemon. Either way it gets the job done and you know it only has one ingredient in it!

      Delete
  14. so, I tried this. Got the honey up to 300f, but they still never hardened and stuck to the paper really bad. Had to toss. Fail. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer! You should test it to make sure it's ready by dropping a bit of the honey into a cup of ice cold water. If it hardens like hard candy pull it off the stove. If it's still soft keep checking a few seconds at a time. Never remove your honey from the stove during the testing process. Just dip a spoon in your pot and let a drop or two go into the water.:) hope that helps.

      Delete
  15. Babies under one year old can't have honey anyway and most honey containers will put that right on their labeling as it is unsafe. As for toddlers, I would think it depends if they are sitting down or running around with it in their mouth, which is obviously dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would LOVE if you shared your post with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/eco-kids-tuesday-link-up-and-green-pops.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I made these lollies for my girls yesterday and though mine weren't nearly as lovely, we had fun making them and my girls said they were delicious.

    I wrote about it with a link to your post here: http://cartigans.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/honey-lollies/

    Thank you!

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never new how easy it was to make lollypops! I'll have to try it sometime! Great post and blog! I'm your newest follower! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These weren't messy? I'm just wondering if you had kids savoring these that they would just melt and get all gooey, you didn't experience that? Not that regular lollipops don't result in a sticky mess! I'm just trying to find an alternative to dum dums and that's how I ended up here but I definitely want to try these!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just made this for my 4 year old with a cold. I've never made candy before, but after not boiling enough the first time, I cooked it for the full 10 minutes, and it worked. The only problem: I did it with a bunch of the windows in my house open. And as soon as the honey was boiling for a while, bees swarmed outside my kitchen window, outside the kitchen screen door, and because I have a bunch of windows with no screens, we had tons of bees inside! It was a little spooky. But I'm excited about how well these lollipops turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad they turned out!! Crazy about all those ees! Yikes!

      Delete
  21. These are awesome. I have a blog myself I was wondering if I could use some pictures and link your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That would be fine! Thank you for asking!:)

      Delete
  22. AnonymousMay 08, 2014

    I am using this for my wedding favours along with a tea bag. Haven't started yet but sounds easy enough

    ReplyDelete
  23. AnonymousJune 24, 2014

    That is such a great idea, how long would these keep solid in a cupboard?

    ReplyDelete

Join in the conversation by leaving a comment! We look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...