Apr 5, 2012

A-MAZE-ing Handwriting!

My kids cringe, and secretly so do I, at the thought of copy work for handwriting. But! I do see the importance of it and therefore we press on! We use an array of quotes, verses, poems, riddles etc. and yes even some workbooks! AHHHH!!!! Workbooks can be such a dirty word for kids who don't like them! I have tried to choose workbooks that don't seem too schooly. Not sure schooly is a word, I think not, but I'm using it anyways ;).  I will share with you in another post what those workbooks are, but for this post I wanted to share a fun way to warm up to handwriting, to get in the "mood" for handwriting, or just to strengthen motor skills. I have found this to be a fun exercise for little ones who are just learning to write.

We use mazes! Of course if your kids do not enjoy doing mazes then this will not help at all, but for those who do like to tackle a maze now and again this might be right up your alley!



There isn't any particular maze book that works better than others. Just grab a book that has mazes in them and go to it! I do try to gather books that have mazes geared towards different levels.

I also try to pick books on different subjects so that they have other interesting facts and ideas seeping into their little brains while they work.


Space Mazes by Roger Moreau
The Space Mazes are very challenging to get through and to keep your pencil from going out of the lines. Great for older kids.

Pirate Mazes by Don Oliver Matthies
You can see in this picture there is more space to work within the lines.

Sea Creatures by Tony and Tony Tallarico & Paul Woodruff
Our Sea Creature Maze book is a cross between Space mazes and Pirates as far as space between the lines goes.

And last, but not least a maze book that is perfect for beginners.

Most workbooks we have seen and painfully used in the past have had very monotonous warm up drills in the beginning of each lesson. Usually it was just the same motion over and over. It was either an up and down stroke with the pencil, or circular motion etc. This just did not work well for my kids, so we resort to mazes. They work on staying in the lines, moving their hand in winding, twisting motions, and they have fun while doing it. As they advance in their writing skills they use more difficult mazes. It's a fun way to warm up to writing. P.S. I don't tell them it's a warm up. I just put the books on the table and start working on a maze myself. They usually jump right in and grab a book for themselves. They don't have to do a maze or even warm up if they don't want to, but 9 out of 10 times they will because they have fun doing it.

Happy Homescchooling!!

~Farmlife Chick

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog. We have a lot in common. I am now following you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a very similar outlook on homeschooling. We are eclectic/unschooling. Works for us and learning is never a bore! "Schooly" is a word in my vocab - and one that I try to steer clear of :) hehehe

    Love,

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of using mazes! It would be great for our daughter with hand-eye cordination troubles. "Schooly" is a bad word in our vocab!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Join in the conversation by leaving a comment! We look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...